Vital Vitamins For Younger Looking Skin
The Perfect Diet?
In an unpolluted, ideal world all the essential vitamins for skin would be easy to obtain from our regular diet.
However the perfect diet is very difficult to achieve on a consistent daily basis.
Many people lead busy lives that force them to eat on the go or purchase foods from sources where the nutritional value cannot be sourced.
It’s all too easy to skip meals or grab something quick and filling rather than spend hours creating nutritionally packed meals 3 times per day.Most of us try to eat as healthily as possible but it just isn’t realistic to expect to achieve optimum nutrition all the time, especially if you have to work or look after the family or both.
A poor diet can have an affect on your overall health but it is usually your skin where vitamin deficiency shows up in the first place.
Vitamins For Clear Skin
Skin supplements can be helpful if you know your diet is falling short of the recommended daily intake of vitamins, minerals and other vital nutrients. Adding good quality supplements for skin to your diet can make all the difference in the quest to achieve glowing, healthy skin.
Firstly it is important to understand the functions of vitamins and how they can affect your skin’s health.
The best vitamins for healthy skin include:
This vitamin is helpful because it enhances the activity of essential fatty acids particularly gamma linolenic acid (GLA) which is vital for healthy skin. It also works in partnership with the mineral zinc to transport nutrients to the body’s cells.
You could be deficient in Vitamin A if you experience any of the following skin problems:
- Dry or rough and scaly skin
- Spots and pimples
- Frequent recurrent skin infections
- Slow healing of cuts and wounds
- Dry hair
- Flaking or peeling nails
- Sore or itchy eyes
The vitamin B complex group consists of:
- Thiamin (B1)
- Riboflavin (B2)
- Niacin (B3)
- Pantothenic Acid (B5)
- Pyridoxine (B6)
- Folic Acid (B9)
- Cobalamin (B12)
- Biotin (sometimes known as Vitamin H)
B vitamins promote the repair and rebuilding of tissue and aid the nervous and endocrine systems. They help to provide energy for the body.
A lack of vitamin B will show up on your skin as:
- Pale complexion
- Cracks and splits around the nose and mouth
- Sores around the mouth
- Brittle nails
- Dry hair
- Sore or itchy eyes
One of the most important vitamins for skin health is Vitamin C. This vitamin can be destroyed by smoking, pollution and stress so it is vital to make sure you are getting enough of this super nutrient.
Vitamin C helps us to fight off infections and aids the healing of wounds. It is essential in the production of skin collagen. The degeneration of collagen in the skin is linked to sagging skin and reduced elasticity.
Vitamin C deficiency can cause the following skin related complaints:
- Broken capillaries
- Cuts that are slow to heal
- Susceptibility to bruising
- Bleeding gums
Vitamin E helps to prolong cell life, improve the quality of the skin and hasten the healing of wounds. It is also helps to reduce scarring after surgery or an accident when applied topically.
Many common skin conditions can also be helped by the topical application of this vitamin.
Vitamin E supplements can be helpful if you have:
- Very dry skin
- Stretch marks
- Are prone to bruising
Are Supplements Important For Skin Health?
If you intend to supplement your diet with vitamins for healthy skin it is important to research them carefully. It is not as simple as taking a high dose of Vitamin C or E as this could be harmful to your health.
All you need is one good quality vitamin supplement per day or one that is formulated especially for skin health.
If you suffer from any of the previously mentioned skin problems then adding a skin supplement to your daily routine may be advisable. Extra vitamins are also a good idea if you:
- Follow a low calorie diet
- Drink lots of caffeinated beverages like tea, coffee and colas
- Exist on fast food
- Eat lots of fatty or sugary foods
- Live or work in a polluted environment
- Have been ill recently
If you are thinking of supplementing your diet with vitamins the following guidelines may be helpful:
1. The word supplement means exactly that. Vitamin supplements should not be used as a replacement for a healthy and varied, nutritious diet.
2. There is no need to purchase several different jars of vitamins. A good quality multi-vitamin supplement is all you need.
3. Good quality supplements have an excellent safety record so choose a brand with a name you can trust.
4. If the label lacks information do not buy.
5. Check the sell by or use by date carefully.
6. Store in a cool, dark place.
7. Follow the instructions on the label. Take supplements with meals unless the label tells you to take them on an empty stomach.
8. Be sensible. Do not exceed the recommended dose, more does not necessarily mean better.
Supplements can be extremely useful but if you are in anyway concerned about your health it is important to contact your doctor immediately.
Skin Supplements And Facial Exercises
Skin supplements can help to improve the quality of your skin. However for that extra bit of help in preventing or correcting skin sagging and wrinkles, facial exercises are recommended.